Weather Closing and Delays
Dear District 129 Families,
Please familiarize yourself with the information listed below which describes the situations and procedures associated with weather-related school closings and delays.
Projected Low Temperatures & Significant Snow Accumulation:
Almost 60% of West Aurora School District 129 students utilize bus transportation services. Additionally, we also have a large number of students who walk to school. As such, we must recognize the potential hazards of exposing students to challenging conditions. Forecasts projecting sustained extreme wind chills will create a significant risk of hypothermia and frostbite. In addition, sustained extreme low temperatures can impact our buses and other essential equipment affecting our ability to transport students.
West Aurora School District 129 consults with the following internal departments and external partners in the community:
- Local Municipalities (road conditions)
- West Aurora School District 129 Transportation Department (busing safety)
- West Aurora School District 129 Operations Department (snow removal)
- National Weather Service (weather updates)
- Surrounding School Districts (information sharing)
The decision process begins the evening prior or early in the morning around 4:00 a.m. When conditions threaten the safety of the children and West Aurora School District 129 staff who are walking, driving, or riding buses to school, we may make a decision to alter the normal school day.
As soon as a decision is made, we will share the information through multiple channels of communication:
- Voice blast through School Messenger
- Email blast through School Messenger
- Text message alert through School Messenger
- West Aurora School District 129 Website
- West Aurora School District 129 Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Chicago news stations and radio stations
We will make every effort to make a decision by 5:00 a.m. and communicate our decision by 5:30 am.
There may be some occasions when it will not be possible to make these times frames as the weather can change unexpectedly. There also may be times when the district will be able to make decisions the day before so that parents, staff members, and students know what will happen the following day. In any event, we will make our best effort to communicate in a timely manner.